Ten of the best permaculture designers from around the country, are converging on Auckland to offer New Zealand’s first three day Food Forest Hui.
Is this event for you, or someone you know
- Do you hold a permaculture design certificate, or have extensive experience growing food?
- Would you like to learn about the design and implementation of food forest systems?
- Do you see a rapid rise in local food production initiatives here and around the world?
If yes, then don’t miss this event!
New Zealand’s first Food Forest Hui
Thursday 26th Sep (4pm) – Saturday 28th Sep (3pm) 2013
Onepoto Domain, Northcote – Auckland
The following people will be there
- Andy Cambeis - “Manual for creating a Food Forest on Public Land”
- Bryan Innes – Awhi Farm
- Daniel Tohill - www.danieltohill.co.nz
- Dieter Proebst (TBC) – Tree Dimensions
- Finn MacKesy – Auckland Permaculture Workshops
- Gary Williams – www.waterscape.co.nz
- Jo Pearsall - Awhi Farm
- Jon Foote – Rescape
- Petra Stephenson
- Robina McCurdy – www.earthcare-education.org
- Trish Allen
These are four main threads to this the event.
- The sharing and exchange of knowledge
- about food forests and what is already underway in New Zealand (lots)
- The human centred design processes
- Which will help us dive deep into the topics we explore
- Find the best collective intelligence from all of these present
- A facilitated interaction with key staff from the Auckland Council
- Learn another model for how to build that partnership with local councils.
- A presentation to the public
- An opportunity to explore effective communication about food forests
Some of the topics
- What do we understand by the term Food Forest or Forest Garden
- The basic principles of gardening like a forest and different methodologies
- Working with schools or community to implement a food forest
- Governance structure for Food Forest NZ and community projects
- The support network (after Hui support and collaboration opportunities)
- Enterprise issues – Managing the business and client relations
The cost for this event is $230, unless you’d like to pay more and contribute to those people who are putting in significant time into its planning. This includes Dinner on Thu and Fri, and Lunch on Fri and Sat.
Thu 26th Sep : 4:00pm – 7:00pm
Fri 27th Sep : 9:30am – 4:30pm – or late into evening
Sat 28th Sep : 9:30am – 3:00pm
There is a global trend towards growing more food in stable, resilient forest-like eco-systems. Never before has it been so easy for people to understand the many and diverse benefits of this type of food production.
This hui is intended to support you to understand the approaches to food forest design, and working with community groups, private small-holding owners, or farmers looking to establish commercial food forests. Walk away from this event confident you can go out and obtain a yield from the work you undertake in this area, supported by a growing community of food forest practitioners.
Contact me if you’d still like to learn more about this event: email@example.com
Or sign up today on Eventbrite (BTW we can only take 40 people)
021 25 20 653
09 372 8737
Following on from the hui – a workshop
by Earthcare Education Aotearoa
DESIGN YOUR OWN FOOD FOREST
Learn how to design a multi-tiered orchard, using permaculture and organic principles
Sun 29 SEPT 10am – 5pm
Tutor: Robina McCurdy
$45 – $95 income-based sliding scale
(please give generously according to your means)
Handouts provided. Bring potluck lunch.
Programme Info & Registration: firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Contact: Tejas Engel: Ph 0210 2419813 or 817 2677